The World Efficiency Day is celebrated each 5th March. The initiative started in Austria during the First International Meeting on Energy Efficiency when experts made the decision to tackle the existing energy crisis and create possible solutions. This day aims to concienciate people on the necessity to achieve reasonable and sustainable use of energy.
Enhancing energy efficiency is based on optimizing production processes and energy consumption, using renewable energy sources, promoting responsible consumption and recycling, among others.
Here you are some energy efficiency tips to reduce your environmental footprint in your everyday life:
- Improve lighting at home by replacing high consuming bulbs by LED bulbs and avoid an irrational use of artificial light by taking advantage of daylight when possible.
- Turn off electrical appliances when they are not in use, for example, your mobile phone charger, as they keep consuming some energy.
- Check that the temperature of your refrigerator is correctly regulated and set to 5ºC in the fridge and -18ºC in the freezer, which is an adequate efficient temperature.
- Install volumetric reducers in the shower and aerators in the taps to save water.
- Move by public transport, bicycle, electric vehicles or on foot, whenever possible.
- And optimize the trips in case you have to travel in a private car.
- Concienciate family and friends, by raising awareness among them, so that they can adapt their daily habits to be more efficient.
Together we can reduce energy consumption and become more efficient for the benefit of us all.