Wet and corrosive gases are those containing acidic chemical compounds, for example, hydrogen chloride (HCl), hydrogen fluoride (HF), SOx, that can generate sulphuric acids (e.g. H2SO4) and bases (e.g. ammonia NH3). These gases must be duly treated and cleaned in order to reduce their concentration and flow before they can be safely released into the atmosphere.
Problems caused by wet and corrosive gases
As they are corrosive compounds, they can be harmful to human health, for example by causing respiratory problems, as well as be harmful to the environment.
There are a number of technologies that can eliminate those gases:
- Dry systems: lime or sodium bicarbonate is often used in dry powder form to treat acid gases. Baghouse filters should be used afterwards, in order to eliminate the additional solid particles.
- Semi-wet systems: these systems are based on absorption via spraying. The absorbing agent is injected as a suspension into the gas that is to be treated in a contact reactor. The gas then undergoes filtration.
- Wet systems: these systems commonly use scrubbers with basic fluids (usually a solution of caustic soda, NaOH) to neutralise these gases.
Which industrial sectors are affected?
The industrial sectors that are affected by wet and corrosive gases are those that use combustion systems to incinerate waste of any kind (e.g. medical/hospital waste, municipal waste, radioactive waste, etc.).
The technical solutions – Baghouse filters and Gas Scrubbers
- Baghouse filters offer highly efficient particle separation. They are used in a wide variety of industrial processes in different sectors and with various products, including the automotive, petrochemical, chemical and mining industries and for products such as cement, plaster, iron, aluminium, ceramics, rubber and coal, among others.
They offer an alternative to electrostatic precipitators. Baghouse filters are suitable for collecting fly ash from low sulphur coal or fly ash that contains high levels of unburnt carbon.
The advantages of Tecam baghouse filters
- There are no moving internal parts.
- High levels of purification performance.
- Moderate energy consumption and pressure drop.
- They can be used on a wide variety of dust types.
- They allow for a modular design, meaning they can be used to treat a very wide range of gas flows.
- Gas Scrubbers are designed to provide effective treatment for gas flows containing chlorinated compounds.
Gas Scrubbers are used where there are concentrations of acid or basic gases, which are usually generated in conjunction with Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) containing halogenated compounds that generate acids.
Gas Scrubbers are recommended for use as purification systems for the specific elimination of the acid gas emissions (SO2) produced during the combustion of pollutants.
Contact us today if you have any issues with the wet and corrosive gases at your production plant.